[plug] smbfs problems

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Oct 16 15:07:42 WST 2001

G'day all
I have put together a linux backup server to do cyclic backups of
some NT machines I have here..
I mount the shares using mount -t smbfs
and back them up using tar.. Nice, simple and easy to control.. EXCEPT
where some file/dir names have non ascii chars in them. The prime example
being the (r) symbol. Linux seems to spit up when it encounters this in
a filename, and just tells me the file/dir does not exist.

The mount(8), smbmount(8) and smbmount-2.2.x(8) pages shed no light..
How are people backing up NT boxes? Or should I just set fire to it now
and replace it with a linux box..
Actually, thats not quite possible yet, so I need to back it up..

I have looked at some of the other backup solutions out there.. but I LIKE
tar and would prefer to use it if possible. All my linux machines already
backup to this box using tar and scp every morning, or in the case of laptops,
when the pcmcia card is slotted in. Be nice if I could use the same backup
techniques for the NT box..

I have found some info on the utf8 encoding, but can't get it to apply to smbfs.

TIA.. Brad..
--
Brad....
                   /"\