[plug] Exchange Server <Puke>

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Oct 16 19:40:55 WST 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 03:59:13PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> The GM has just burst in demanding that we install exchange server so he
> can feel all warm and fuzzy using outlook and it's 'collaboration' features.
> I don't care about the client end.. he can use whatever he wants, but I don't
> want to have to install another NT box..
> I'm combing the net now, but I thought I'd ask if any of you are using a
> workable solution? I need to derail this quickly before he gets any more
> bright ideas..

Nimda.
SircCam.
... visit www.antivirus.com, www.vet.com.au, etc for more good reasons not to.

Email virus spread by Outlook (also know as "Lookout!") and Microsoft
Exchange (also known as "MSexchange", where the M is silent) is the
greatest risk to corporate security and downtime. "R I S K". Can you
afford to go to it? And I don't mean the cost of the software, but the
cost to the business in exposed corporate secrets, consultants, down
time, etc. Will you have anti-virus software scanning your inbound and
outbound SMTP queues? Check out www.antivirus.com for VirusWall; it has
a *cough* Red Hat version.

Work out what is needed. For smallish workgrouns (perhaps up to 50, 100),
I would say cyrrus IMAP, sendmail, maildrop, and put all user mail into
Maildirs. Look at the iCalendar stuff for colaboration and schecuduling.,

Look for "standards" and pseudo standards. The collabaration has had some
focus over the last two years; there was a BOF (bird of a feather), IIRC,
at LCA2001 about this; I think Nikc went to it.

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to

 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html