[plug] Floppy Disk Drive I/O errors

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Oct 17 11:49:18 WST 2001

At 11:27 AM 10/17/2001, you wrote:
>Hmmm....my FDD under Mandrake 8.0 has started doing this:
>
># fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
>Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
>Formatting ... done
>Verifying ... Read: : Input/output error
>Problem reading cylinder 6, expected 18432, read -1
>
>I initially thought it was a bad batch of floppies, but I've since changed
>them with no change to the error generated. I also swapped the FDD with no
>change. Any ideas?

If you have changed the FDD then working back through the hardware ..
faulty ribbon cable or FDD controller ? Dicky power supply or FDD power
cable ? If the controller is on the motherboard then .. "trouble at mill"
.. not sure what to do. If you can disable the on-board FDD controller and
put an ISA or PCI FDD board in that would confirm if the controller is faulty.

Clutching straws by suggesting the FDD driver has changed and not for the
better ?

Harry