[plug] Sector editing

Garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Oct 17 12:06:42 WST 2001

I've got a Toshiba laptop for which I've lost the bios password.. Have
found a cure, need to make a boot disk with 5 (specific) hex numbers at
the start of the second sector...

Have had a play with khexedit, but it wants to edit files, not down to
sector level on a disk.

Do I need to do something really tricky - like create a disk within a
file, edit that then dd it to the disk, or is there an easier way?

Have had a look at the docs for khexedit, but no mention of this stuff.

Thought of using the dd command and skip=512, to miss the first (or
boot) sector, but this is pretty ugly.

Regards,

Garry.