[plug] ssh & X window

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Wed Oct 17 23:07:23 WST 2001

Quick and dirty method.

On your workstation, run 'xhost +<hostname.of.remote>'

you can just run xhost +, which will allow any host to sue your X-server.
This is...  not good...  Always put a hostname in.

On you remote, in your ssh session, set the environment variable DISPLAY to
your workstationname:0.0  In csh, do
setenv DISPLAY wsname:0.0

sh, bash, ksh, etc, do
export DISPLAY=wsname:0.0

where wsname is a hostname that will allow the remote system to contact
yoour workstation.  If there is no such name, just put the ip address in
instead of the name.

Alan