[plug] What was your first computer?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Oct 18 15:12:06 WST 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Mike wrote:

> At 02:38 PM 18/10/2001 +0800, you wrote:
> >The cheap ones just did straight multiplication, from memory, and the
> >Fraber Castell slide rules had a log scale, and, I think, a geometric
> >(angles) scale, or something. 'Twas a long time ago, in a galaxy far
> >away...
>
> All the slide rules I've seen had a log scale - thats *how* they
> did multiplication/division, without a log scale you can only
> do addition/subtraction and I've never seem one like that ever,
>
> Well - other then an abacus,
>
> rgds
>
> Mike

No; one scale for doing multiplication, that, okay, was a log scale, but,
another scale, for doing log and anti-log arithmetic, as opposed to
straight multiplication/division; so that exponential arithmetic, like
squares, cubes, and higher power(s), and square roots, cube roots,, and,
higher root(s) etc, could be done.

The middle bit (the tongued bit) could be removed, and, turned over, or
upside down, for different scales, with different applications, and, from
memory, the cursor (the clear plastic sliding magnifying thing) had
different lines on it, for reading different things, for different
purposes.

The analogy, is a scientific slide-rule, like a scientific calculator, as
opposed to a simple arithmetic slide rule, like a simple arithmetic
calculator($5 at wooolies, etc).

Oh, to have one in front of me, so that I could figure how to use it
again, and, explain it..

Anyway, we digress...

--
Bret Busby