[plug] MDK 8.1 Install Blues...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 19 17:12:57 WST 2001

Trent Lloyd wrote:

> i actually had problems with devfs when i tried it because instead of
> hda1 it was like /dev/ide/hd0/p1 or something and changing all my
> references was a pain so i just recompiled my kernel and disabled it
>
> Then again perhaps I did something wrong and someone can enlighten me

Sort-of. Your distro was probably an older one (?) or you didn't have
devfsd installed off the CDs. Devfs needs a userspace daemon to work
effectively with older software (read: anything that uses /dev/hda
instead of /dev/ide0/disk0/lun0/disk or whatever). Devfsd creates
"compatability" symlinks from the devfs device nodes to their
tradiditonal positions. It also enables module autoloading and a couple
of other handy things.

Devfs w/o devfsd won't work properly w/o an extensively customised
userspace software base where everything has been modified to recognise
devfs device paths.

You also need to update modutils etc as per the README in the kernel source.