[plug] Deb CDs and rsync servers in Oz...

Kim Covil Kim.Covil at csiro.au
Fri Oct 19 18:02:09 WST 2001

On Fri, 2001-10-19 at 17:41, Craig Ringer wrote:

> >>The CD layout is certainly confusing. Where the hell are the .img files
> >>for making boot floppies?
> >>

> >Can you boot directly from the CD?
> >Otherwise, the images should be main/disks-i386 or similar.
> >
> If he's remastering the CDs after updating with rsync, he'll need to
> either rip the el-torito floppy image from the start of the CD (*arrggh*
> how!) or burn the new copy in el-torito with some "cd-boot" customised
> bootdisk image (usually a  2.88mb floppy image).

I thought the idea of using rsync on debian-cd was to rsync the iso
image itself rather than the contents of the iso...? Then you would end
up with a cd image to burn that should be bootable...? (I myself have
never used a debian cd so I don't know whether they are bootable by
default)

On a matter related to rsync debian servers in Australia... is there a
list anywhere of the sites which provide rsync access to the normal tree
rather than the isos...? I am having some reverse DNS lookup issues with
my new static IP and mirror.aarnet.edu.au is ignoring me... :( Local or
international would be fine at this point... though preferably Oz...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail:  kim.covil at csiro.au
,-_!\
            PO Box 1130, Bentley,       Direct:  +61 8 6436 8638    /
\
            Western Australia  6102     Fax:     +61 8 6436 8555
*_,-._/
        Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au