[plug] [OT] HDD Recovery

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 22 14:15:09 WST 2001

skribe wrote:

>I have a Compaq laptop that has a dodgy HDD.  Unfortunately it has some
>important data and mail on it that escaped the usual backup routine that I
>wish to recover. What is the best way to go about doing it?
>
>skribe

If the disk is on cable select, change it to master and remove anything
else on the interface before you panic. I've seen several drives go
"funny" about cable-select and this is exactly the kind of behavior you
can get when there are 2 drives conflicting for master on an ATA interface.
(Trust me, this happened to me the other day, forgot the ATA cable I was
using in the testbed machine wasn't CS... whoops)