[plug] Linux Gaming Question

Clinton Butler misprint at bizzpro.com.au
Wed Oct 24 11:06:02 WST 2001

> I think what you need to know _first_ is if you can actually get the
source
> code for this application! I had a look on the site you referred to above
> and found the game in question, but there didn't seem to be any
indication
> that the source code was available.

I have knowledge of people who have obtained it from the company... it
_isn't_ a free source program.

> And assuming you _can_ get the source code, how well do you know C++? :)

I don't personally know C++ but I have a lot of reference material and
could pick it up quickly (I did the same for JavaScript).

> Regarding porting applications to/from Window/Linux in general - it
depends
> on a _lot_ of factors as to how "difficult" is can be (I mean, how do you
> measure difficulty anyway?).

Okay.. I was refering to time and effort.

> If, however, the Windows app uses libraries that are simply not available
> on Linux, you'd have to literally rewrite large portions of the code to
use
> alternative Linux libraries (as, for example, if the app links to MFC,
> you'd have to rewrite so it uses Qt or wxWindows or something similar. Or
> implement the functionality yourself from scratch).

I don't know right now.. but I can get hold of the information.

> Okay, after all that negativity :), I just want to ask - why on earth do
you
> not want to use Wine? It would seem by far the easiest (and most likely
> succeed within a reasonable amount of time) approach for what you want to
> do.

I have not had a very good experience with wine as it never wants to
agree with me.

> Have you _tried_ to install and run the app using Wine? I've successfully
> used a number of Windows games (Half-Life mainly, but also the recent
> Return To Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer test) and general apps under
Linux
> using Wine, and without a significant performance hit.

See above