[plug] Linux Gaming Question

Craig Dyke grail at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 24 01:11:43 WST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:48, Clinton Butler wrote:
> I enjoy playing video games (as most teenage high school students do). I
> do not know if you are the right people to ask this question.. but I can
> only try.
>
> I have been playing an online game called Nexus (downloadable from
> www.nexon.net) but unfortunately it is a windows only application. What I
> wish to do is obtain the source code for the application and attempt to
> compile it for Linux. What I need to know is: how hard is it to convert a
> windows application to run under X (without Win4Lin or Wine). I am led to
> believe that the application was written in C++. I want to do this so I
> can finally get rid of windows once and for all (I have already found
> alternatives for everything else).

I think some of the main issues you will face, after getting the source code,
is two fold:

	1. Finding and changing all the headers, libraries and lines of code could possibly take months/years
		depending on how large the game is.

	2. If you think learning C/C++ is going to be anything like Java script you are sorely mistaken

But, good luck :)
--
Craig Dyke