[plug] Audio Speed Control

Simon Scott Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Wed Oct 24 14:45:59 WST 2001

	A couple of things

	a) at the samplerate you are talking about, I would triple check
your code to ensure it does what you think its doing. I cant believe it
would sound that bad. I have written similar code on the Commodore 64,
pushing 8Khz, 4 bit samples through the volume register and it sounded
great.... and I was shifting nearly an octave at times.

	b) Obviously you cant shift it too far, or it will sound crap no
matter what you do.

	c) If it is just noise, I have heard it said that if you introduce
random noise into the sample, it can in fact sound better....  dunno if you
wanna go this far though

	Does it sound better/worse if you shift up/down?

	How are you calculating when to double/drop a sample?

	At the end of the day, this sort of algorithm will only do so much
before you have to look at resampling which, (to my limited knowledge) is
akin to your linear interpolation but is 'non-linear', if you know what I
mean. But even that might sound crap.