[plug] Tiger: security checker -- opinions?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 14:30:54 WST 2001

At 13:23 24/10/01 +0800, Christian wrote:
 >For memory Tiger is a bit like the SATAN/Saint style checker which looks
 >primarily for general types of problems rather than specific flaws.

Yes, that's the way.  Also good from a learning perspective --
understanding the various vulnerabilities and using that as a jumping-off
point for more reading.

 >General problems are hopefully reasonably rare now that security is a
 >bigger concern for vendors and specific vulnerabilities tend to be the
 >source of most security problems.  The problem with any sort of program

Agreed, although some file permissions in the Debian installation are not
as restrictive as AusCERT recommends.  Perhaps I should take a look at
FreeBSD one of these days too, since that seems to be regarded as a leading
light in security out-of-the-box.

 >that, Nessus is supposed to be one of the better ones and is free

Will check it out, thanks.

 >software.  At the end of the day though, nothing compares to tracking
 >vulnerabilities daily combined with a generally restrictive setup.

I respect the wisdom of this :-)   As much as anything it's also a good
educational exercise.  Restriction-wise the test setup has a pretty much
100% airgap firewall during config and would eventually only need to work
within one or two subnets so I can button it down pretty well.

Regards,
Denis