[plug] [OT] http: different results from browser and telnet

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Oct 25 14:59:00 WST 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:49:44PM +0800, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> They were actually supposed to be the same name: www.badlinks.com not
> badclicks.com
>
> Question still stands, why two different pages?

I give you this (somewhat familiar sounding) answer):

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > Name-based virtual hosting. The base host is pr0n, badlinks is name-based on
> > the same IP. Try:
> >
> > Host: www.badlinks.com
> > GET /

:)

Basically, the webserver is hosting a number of sites on the one IP
address and uses the site's name to decide what content to server.
Since you didn't specify the hostname when you used Lynx, it used the
default virtual host.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Spoon-feeding, in the long run,
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | teaches us nothing but the shape of