[plug] User control of Browsers [WAS Open source DVD playback]

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Oct 30 14:22:01 WST 2001

navarre,

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 13:59, navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Just catching up on an old thread of discussion and what comes to mind is
> also the way we the users of graphical web browsers are at the mercy of
> the web content providers and at time totally loose control, sometimes to
> the point of runaway of memory and CPU time, by simply visiting a web
> site or clicking a button.
>
> My discussion is from the point of re-gaining control of what our browser
> is allowed to do when a link is clicked on. Let me say this another way,
[snip]

Yep. This interests me too. I reckon an approach on two levels would probably
work best:

1.  Increase the granularity of browser config.

Although I frequently simply browse with Java/JS turned off, cookies enabled
but not writing to disk etc I would prefer to have greater granularity of
control in a browser.

2.  Encourage thoughtful, if not ethical web design

Web designers I train are encouraged to not include effects/funky stuff in
sites just because they can, but rather focus on the wants/needs of the
intended audience(s), and the effective as well as aesthetic delivery of the
content on the site.

Back to y'all.
Steve