[plug] Kernel compiling Q's

Carl Gherardi gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Oct 30 17:25:02 WST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 mpople at orbeng.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a new ibook and i was trying to upgrade my kernel so i could get
> sound support.
> i upgraded from 2.2-something to 2.4.12, i used a kernel binary archive i
> untarred it and copied the vmlinux and System.map to /boot then i copied
> modules/ to /lib/modules
> rebooted but this didnt give me sound support, so i downloaded the source
> for 2.4.12 and replaced /usr/src/linux/2.2 with the new ones (i did this
> with-out thinking of course, so not sure if this is the desired way) did all
> the compile stuff to add sound....
> any way when i boot i get, when it's checking module dependencies, i get a
> whole lot of unresolved symbols (mainly sound related)
> What can i do to fix this ? and perhaps what is the correct way to do what
> im trying!  :)
> cheers
> mark

Is your sound working now? If yes ignore

Simplest thing to resolve that probelm is to remove module support from
the kernel entirely. The module tagging stuff to identify non kernel
modules has caused a few build problems.

If you just want to get sound working then compiling sound into the kernel
and not as a module may do the trick

5c

Carl