[plug] Root partition read-only?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 31 13:58:31 WST 2001

> I recently installed Mandrake 8.1, and setup my partitions as follows (from
> memory):
>
> /home reiserfs
> /var reiserfs
> /boot ext2, read only
> /usr ext2, read only
> / ext2, read only
> /root, ext2, read-only
OK, /root may as well be rw, its root's home directory. Personally I think
its pointless to keep /root, /usr and / on separate partions if they're all
ro ext2, you get more efficient disk use by combining them. That way /tmp can
be tmpfs, /var reiser, /home reiser, and /usr/local for your custom apps also
reiser. No fsck. Separating /root from / is, in my opinion, especially
pointless as you're unlikely to ever use /root at all.

If you're going to have / mounted ro, you're really going to want a separate
partition for /etc mounted rw! Perhaps you can poach the partition you're
using for /root, and merge /root into / ??

That said, I keep /boot (16mb, ext2) ro, and everything else (/, /home, /var,
/usr, /usr/local) is mounted as rw reiser. Could use ro for /