[plug] Swapping disks to another laptop

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Sun Sep 2 14:32:17 WST 2001

On Sunday 02 September 2001 07:37, psteege at tpg.com.au wrote:

> When I purchase the new laptop, that is compatible with this disk
> drive, how can I bring the system back online?
> Will the existing kernel, on the disk, reject the hardware because it
> does not match what existed on the original Gateway?
> Can I just do another RedHat install and select update, instead of
> new install ??

The easist way would be to install the old drive as a second drive and mount
it.  Otherwise it should still boot the new system, just provide proper
hardware support.  You maybe able to get it to reconfigure itself with a bit
of luck.  Give it a go, you shouldn't loose any data.
#include standard.disclaimer.all

--
Tony Clark
ASIC, FGPA and Digital Design