[plug] Swapping disks to another laptop

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sun Sep 2 16:25:03 WST 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 psteege at tpg.com.au wrote:

> When I purchase the new laptop, that is compatible with this disk
> drive, how can I bring the system back online?

Nothing special about laptops there AFAIK.
Just swap the hard drives, and change the BIOS setting for hard-drive
geometry - it should have an auto-detect.
  Of course you may then need to change settings for display, sound,
ethernet, etc, but it should boot in text mode OK. (or plain 16 colour
VGA?)

> Will the existing kernel, on the disk, reject the hardware because it
> does not match what existed on the original Gateway?

No, you should just have non-functioning peripherals. Same familily of
CPUs, right?

> Can I just do another RedHat install and select update, instead of
> new install ??

It might be more instructive, and not too hard, to reconfigure more
manually.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--