[plug] Swapping disks to another laptop

psteege at tpg.com.au psteege at tpg.com.au
Sun Sep 2 19:48:41 WST 2001

I assume you meant install my "old" HD into my new laptop.
My new laptop does have a floppy, but I do not have dual disk drives,
so I don't see how I can move the data from the "old" hard drive to
anything else, unless I zip to hundreds of floppies.
Is there a linux equivalent to the MS program laplink ?  That program
used serial or parallel ports to transfer data.

Phil
> psteege at tpg.com.au wrote:
>
> > I have a 6Gb removable Fujitsu disk drive in my Gateway laptop,
but
> > the laptop just died.  I am running RedHat 7.1.
> > I want to purchase another laptop but not lose all the data on the
> > current disk drive.
> > When I purchase the new laptop, that is compatible with this disk
> > drive, how can I bring the system back online?
> > Will the existing kernel, on the disk, reject the hardware
because it
> > does not match what existed on the original Gateway?
> > Can I just do another RedHat install and select update, instead of
> > new install ??
>
> I don't know that it would work in all cases but I've switched hard
> drives between machines and had no problems, it's *much* better than
> windows in this aspect.  So the first thing to do would probably be
just
> to try it and see if it works.  If that fails then as long as you
have
> your /home (or whichever directory holds your personal work)
mounted on