[plug] billion (was Unix Epoch: 1 billion seconds breakfast function.)

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:15:48 WST 2001

I can see where you are coming from there but I do have a few hesitations.
Generally the words used have language roots that give meanings and if every
country except America and France officially use billion (10 to the power of
12), I'd say that the word roots probably signify that it means 10 to 12
(that's the shorthand I'll use for now).

Also, a million is a thousand thousands, shouldn't that make it a billion is
logically a million millions?

I can see why the Americans used the French version, as the US dialect is
based around being independent from English. Changing a number like this is
probably something that they'd do by the sounds of previous history (the
French have tendency to do things like this also).

Either way, I'll probably stick to the English one at present. Are there any
experts as such on this topic?