[plug] billion (was Unix Epoch: 1 billion seconds breakfast function.)

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Sep 3 12:39:28 WST 2001

On Mon,  3 Sep 2001 12:15, John Knight wrote:

> I can see why the Americans used the French version, as the US dialect is
> based around being independent from English.

Actually, it is the English usage that is Frenchified.  It was the style of
the times to make the language seem more dignified.  When Webster wrote his
dictionary he chose to simplify the spelling of certain words and to make
American English distinct from English English.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html