[plug] Mail Lists - smartlist setup problems

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 13:32:55 WST 2001

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > Matt!! If you've made it this far - how the smeg do I suppress the Resent-To
> > (and other) header that smartlist adds on?? I can't find much in the docs, and
> > a modified "strip header" solution from the FAQ only seems to work with
> > existing headers, not the ones smartlist adds...
>
> They are all added by the formail command in rc.submit
> I _think_ you can get away with just removing the
>
> -a"Resent-From: $listaddr" ...  -I"Resent-Sender: $listreq"
>
> etc from that command line, but you should probably test that first :)
>
> The formail manpage is very enlightening.

I've got back to looking at this, and I can't nut it out. Submits to my test
mail list have appended extra fields including Resent-Date, Resent-From, and
Resent-To. Of these three, I can only find reference to Resent-From in the
rc.submit. Ignoring it (or cancelling it using -I) results in the Resent-From
now containing list at mailhost (as opposed to the name of the mail list). So
something's still adding on these fields, and I can't figure out what. I've
tried a similar removal in the rc.local.s20 with the same results. Something
else is adding these in.

The big painful one is Resent-To, which lists everyone the mail is sent to! ie;
a Mail List with 1000 addresses, this field would contain all 1000 addresses
listed, for everyone else to see!! Help!! Any ideas?

It doesn't seem related to the receiving MTA, as the ML script is just
referenced from /etc/aliases.
I've checked the smartlist FAQ & Manual, but can't see any obvious solutions.

I'm using the Debian smartlist package version 3.15-3 (from Woody).

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :