[plug] Install using apt

J Michael Gilks gilksjm at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 3 17:53:03 WST 2001

I have about a billion questions to ask concerning apt. This is just a
random sample, but I have spent billions of time trying to work it out.
I did try the man pages and got some ideas, but a few things have me
stuffed. I have installed progeny debian and now want to get MySQL,
PostgreSQL, PHP4 and JRE1.3 onto my machine. I have entered the Australian
mirrors in my sources. list, but the listing in dselect was just too
daunting. I tried apt-cache search php4 and came up with a long list of
modules. Do I have to install each module separately or is there a master
package to put most of it on. The same applies to the other packages I want
to install.
Also to upgrade everything currently installed is the command apt-get
install.
I don't want to try this until I know in case I stuff everything.
Thanks
Love
Mike.