[plug] Apache Access

Clinton Butler misprint at bizzpro.com.au
Mon Sep 3 21:26:01 WST 2001

Joel Fraser wrote:

> I have setup apache and was trying to setup websites for the users on the
> system such as http://midvaleps.iinet.net.au/~joel, but when i go to that
> location i get
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /~joel on this server.

it's a permissions error

> Apache/1.3.19 Server at midvaleps.iinet.net.au Port 80
>
> i have looked throught httpd.conf and gone to the apache site but couldnt
> find out the problem, could someone help me out???

yeah.. I had the same problem... cd into the www directory (default
/var/www) then type "chmod 755 <directory/file or *(for all)>" then cd
into each subsequent directory and do the same. If you want to have
public access then you may want to cd into the www directory and type
"chmod -R 755 *" as this will change everything and all subsequent files
and directories. Every time there is something updated or added you have
to do this... I am not sure of any other way to get around this.. any
ideas pluggers?