[plug] rescue mode on debian

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Sep 3 22:52:39 WST 2001

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 05:47:45PM +0800, Lathiat wrote:
> how do i get into debians rescue mode without the disk, like it puts you in
> if you need to run fsck or soemthing
> I think it is maintenence mode because right now libpam.so.0 got deleted so
> /bin/login wont run (read hard drive tribbles and tribulations) so any
> help? ive got a boot disk but doing root=/dev/hda1 isnt enough it needs
> init= etc but i know maintence mode works because i was in it a minute ago
> after it complained about fsck

Hodl down shift when it starts to boot. You should get a "lilo: " prompt.
Press "?" to geta list of images. The "<image> s", ie, the name of the image
followed by a letter 's'. This will boot single user. Enter your root
password when prompted. Fix the problem, then "exit" the shell.

HTH.

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to