[plug] Bastille

Rob Dunne Rob.Dunne at cmis.CSIRO.AU
Tue Sep 4 03:23:40 WST 2001

I not a security  expert either -- that is why I tried it. The idea seems clear,
I thought.
1) you answer the questions
2) it makes a config file
3) you tell it to make the changes
4) it makes them (backing up files it changes)

but (4) doesnt seem to work. I ran it as root (of course).  Perhaps I
will try another example. I just have a fear of it stuffing up and
leaving me with an unusable machine (like when I used rpm to update
rpm -- what a mess)

Alan Graham writes:
 > I've been using it for months now.  However, I'm *not* a security expert by
 > any stretch of the imagination, so Bastille is heaps better than my roll
 > your own firewall sripts.   It worked fine (as far as I could tell) on a
 > 2.2.26 kernel, and handled the swith to 2.4.4 without missing a beat.  All
 > of the changes that I've made have been actioned, but they've been along
 > the lines of opening or closing particular port ranges, so easy to check.
 > I haven't examined the results in as much detail as looking at SUID status.

							bye
                                                        rob

--
 Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 8 9333 6121     Tel: +61 8 9333 6178
 CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
 http://matilda.vu.edu.au/~dunne  Email: Robert.Dunne at cmis.csiro.au

        Java has certainly revolutionized marketing and litigation.