[plug] Firewall testing

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Fri Sep 7 12:20:57 WST 2001

Garry,

On Friday 07 September 2001 11:44, garry wrote:
> Thanks for that Steve..
>
> For interest, FTP(21) indent(113) and https(443) were the only open ports
> reported. Everything else was stealth (no response).

Depending on the installation, it's usually polite to leave ident responding
as usual, however I'm surprised FTP and https are open, unless you're
offering these services to the world. Did you connect to grc through a proxy?
If you did, then grc scanned the proxy, and not your box. If those services
ARE running, and shouldn't be, stop them through the e-smith manager.

> I am going to enjoy visiting a mate of mine soon, he has just done the MCSE
> qualification, and has 2000 at home on an ADSL...

Win2k ships with basic packet filtering. Hope he learnt some security
tricks....

Steve