[plug] history and "trash can"

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Sep 7 15:36:36 WST 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Colin Muller wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:54:03AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Why not just use simple english; why not just use the words "deleted
>
> I'll second that.

Gents! Have we forgotten what this is all about?
 Two words: Destop metaphor.

Long ago a young Steve Jobs visited Xerox PARC and saw their ideas for
easy to use computers. The screen is a destop. Icons represent
manila folders, filing cabinets, and that little waste basket under your
desk.
  But the "waste basket" icon is really only used for drag-n-drop, any how
many people really delete their files that way? It is redundant.
In fact, now that people are more familiar with the Windoze desktop than
with old-fashioed office equipment, the whole idea of office metaphors has
outlived its usefulness.

The macOS X people see it that way:
http://www.techreview.com/magazine/nov00/montfort.asp

 Leave the desktop metaphor behind, I say.

--
Mike Holland  <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
			--==--