[plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Steve Vertigan steven at vertigan.wattle.id.au
Fri Sep 7 22:13:59 WST 2001

Bret Busby wrote:

> So, rejecting HTML emails, and sending a message back to the sender, would
> appear to be a good protection.

When I get round to it I'm going to expand my perl mailing filters to
kill html on mailing lists and on personal mail just run it through lynx
-dump or something similiar.  I'd hate to think that my mail elitism
would lead to bouncing a lucrative job offer from a PHB that sent me a
html mail.

Speaking of spam one of my favourite features of qmail is that you can
create a file like .qmail-whatever and all mail sent to
<username>-whatever at host is handled by that file and if it doesn't exist
it goes through .qmail-default.  So whenever I have to give an email for
downloading or somesuch I use steve-companyname at host.  As soon as that
company starts abusing the address and sending me mail I've explictly
said no to (either through intent or incompetence) I copy my bounce file
to .qmail-companyname and bingo, never hear from them again.

Some people take it to extremes and for mailing lists and usenet posts
generate an email like <username>-20010907 at host which remains able to
accept email for the next week or whatever.

Regards,
Steve
--
OpenBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org KLINK#1 i386
10:00AM  up 11 days,  5:57, 2 users, load averages: 0.20, 0.16, 0.10