[plug] need to upgrade? -was Re: [plug] kmail and the gigasecond bug

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Sep 9 00:23:06 WST 2001

On Sun, 09 Sep 2001, Peter Wright wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 11:02:25PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> Bret, you may find that once you actually give a modern distro a fair go
> (even on one of your secondary machines), most (if not all) of your
> concerns will disappear.
>
> Or then again you may find that they don't :). But it should be worth at
> least giving it a try.

The only computer that we can spare, to trial a new(er)distribution, is the 486
with 16MB RAM. We tried repeatedly to install Debian on it, after the y2K
installfest, but couldn't get Debian to NFS install. The 486 has not got an
operational CD, so the only two alternatives, are NFS install or floppy disks,
and, we are not sure how to get the floppy disk images. Oh, and, yes, it has
GNOME installed, and, it works (on RH 6.2). We do not have enough HDD space on
any of the other computers here, to copy a CD image to, to retry NFS
installation to the 486, so, it would have to wait, now. I lost 430MB, apart
from the space occupied by the installation, off my HDD, when I installed NS
6.1, and it copied all my NS 4.61 email files, to a /home/.../.mozilla path.

Bret Busby