[plug] Dealing with Unsubscribe problems

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 13 12:12:10 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who don't read the Debian weekly news, check out the
> latest edition and, in particular, how they dealt with someone who
> somehow was subscribed to debian-security and refused to unsubscribe
> himself. At the same time he continually sent abusive messages to the
> mailing list because he kept getting all this "spam" which were, of
> course, just list messages.
>
> The solution is quite ingenious and I propose we bear it in mind the
> next time we get a luser who can't unsubscribe:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2001/debian-security-200109/msg00072.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian.

Quite agree.

One question (relating to the signature in the email on that page, and,
to Brad's signature); why is the "campaign" to have email sent in plain
ASCII text format, named the ASCII Ribbon Campaign?

I don't understand the significance of the usage of the word "Ribbon".

Bret Busby

Bret Busby

P O Box 153
Armadale 6992
West Australia

Phone/Fax: +61 8 9399 3820

Website: http://www.busby.net
"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
  - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  - Douglas Adams, 1988