[plug] increasing files-max

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 15:05:29 WST 2001

On 12 Sep 2001 23:34:54 +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> List,
>
> In 'normal' usage (for me) I occasionally get errors of too many files
> open and things start failing horrible. Doing a search for solutions to
> this, it says to increase the number in /proc/sys/fs/files-max. I've
> increased it from 4096 to 8192. So far all's been well, but are there any
> sideeffects to this that anybody's encountered that I should pay attention
> to?

The kernel has to maintain tables describing file descriptors. These
will be attached to process table entries as proceses open files. So you
will have more memory used by the kernel to maintain these tables.

However, the overhead isn't large at all, so I wouldn't worry.

Cheers,
Grahame

--
Grahame Bowland, Network and Systems Administrator
University Communications Services, The University of Western Australia