[plug] Red hat Linux 6.1

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Sep 16 20:43:51 WST 2001

Alan Graham wrote:
> I actually need RH 6.2, now that I've checked the SAP website.

> I'm trying to set up an SAP system at home (as you do), and the
> cd says 6.1. However, it actually means 6.1 Enterprise Edition,
> but the web site says any version of 6.2 will also do.

As an alternative, it is likely that installing the glibc update from a
RedHat updates mirror into a later RedHat system (such as 7.1) is also
likely to work.

You may need to boot it under a 2.2 kernel instead of 2.4 and we
discovered that the security-patched 2.2 kernel shipped with Mandrake
breaks Pick (D3) so I guess is also likely to break SAP.

If you just need a comprehensive SQL server and this all gets too hard,
PostgreSQL is fairly complete and ships with most distributions.
Interbase is also said to be good, but I have not used it myself.
Cheers;