[plug] Installing Webmin

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Sep 16 20:56:37 WST 2001

Joel Fraser wrote:
> I am trying to install webmin on one of my Redhat 7.1 sever
> machines and it says that webmin cannot be installed. I alos
> have a machine that has the same Redhat 7.1 and it installed
> fine. Does anyone have any clus why it wont install. I also
> have the same problem for Linuxconf.

Generally, and unlike many Windows apps, the software will give you a
reason _why_ it won't install, which is quite helpful for diagnosis. If
the RPM manager you're using doesn't do this, use a different one - but
meanwhile, try this from the command line as root:

   rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/webmin-(tab)(enter)

It will likely complain about missing dependencies, which are other
packages which webmin relies upon and must have installed before or with
it. Use rpm -i as above but put in the names of the dependencies, then
try webmin again.