[plug] Red hat Linux 6.1

Graham, Alan A. Alan.Graham at woodside.com.au
Mon Sep 17 09:54:36 WST 2001

SAP for Linux ships with SAPDB, which is the open source DB SAP released a
few months ago.  You may know it as ADABAS...  SAP bought ADABAS years ago
and have since being improving ti.  Most commercial implementations still
use Oracle tho'.  Presumably that was why they open sourced it (ie, 'cos
no-one was buying it, so it doesn't cost them any future revemues?),  You
can also use Oracle 8.0i, which is available under the same 'free for
non-productive (sic) use' license.

The problem with the system tho' isn't the underlying DB, it's the SAP
Kernel itself, and various other SAP process, that need particular versions
of the kernel, ncurese, glibc, etc...

Alan