[plug] apt-get and Debian testing

Arkem arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Sun Sep 23 15:12:55 WST 2001

I've been running Debian for a while now but I've been a bit lazy
when it comes to checking for new versions of programs so I am
contemplating creating a cron job that does it for me. How I plan to
do it is by:

1. dpkg --get-selections to create a file with the previous package
settings so in case of a disaster I can revert.
2. apt-get update with -q -y to get a new list of packages
3. apt-get dist-upgrade -q -y --show-upgraded to do the update

The output of this operation would be mailed to root, so I'd know
what has happened. I'd probably run this maybe weekly or monthly. Is
this a safe thing to do? Is there a better way to achieve this? Would
a solution like this also be appropriate for a Debian unstable box?

Regards, Paul Chamberlain