[plug] LIRC & Irman anyone

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Tue Sep 25 00:25:39 WST 2001

While I have not done what you are suggesting if I was to do it I might:

- Go to Dick Smith and buy an Atmel Hotchip and the 4/16 channel Discovery
IR kit

I already have these two items, but for other reasons.

Just by using the tiny example programs provided with the Hotchip, you can
have its onboard UART acting as a serial terminal server and it can also be
quite easily programmed (using Linux of course) to output text depending on
the state of any of its 32 odd I/O lines, use the IR receiver module to
toggle these inputs and in the crudest form imaginable you could get handy
with some shell script and suck the results from your serial port .. or
step up and use Perl/C etc.  It's quite a mundane task for such a powerful
processor to do, but it is simple-ish to implement.  you could get more
involved and make it drive LCD screens and things later on however it it's
not getting hot enough.

Avoids having to buy IR receiver units with existing drivers etc (of which
I don't know anything about), and it saves having to make complicated
communications programs to talk to any device on your serial port, the
communications protocols are all managed by the Hotchip, it just pumps out
clean unadulterated whatever-you-wants for you to read however you wish.

.. and 2 marginally higher powered Atmel chips and some RAM can decode
192Kb MP3s and interface with an IDE bus (if you are into that kind of
stuff) ... who needs a PC?

a quick Debian interrogation fires back all the programs you need to
program the Hotchip (or use the crap Windows one it comes with):

ava - Algebraical Virtual Assembler for Atmel's AVR MCUs
avra - Assembler for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
uisp - Micro In-System Programmer for Atmel's AVR MCUs

Just an idea ... I tend to solve problems with means I am familiar with
before looking around for possible simpler solutions :)

Ryan