[plug] Have you ever wanted an Oscilloscope, but one that could talk to Linux?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Sep 27 14:04:17 WST 2001

Hi,

A while ago when I was messing around with some hardware projects with
PIC micros and what not, I would really have loved having a logic
analyser and an oscilloscope.

Then I came across BitScope (www.bitscope.com). Lo and behold, it was an
Australian-designed product with an open hardware design, was quite
low-cost, had an analog bandwidth of 300MHz, used a moderately fast A-D
converter (40MS/s), could potentially handle signals up to 100MHz with
sub-sampling, and could capture 8 digital signals at 50MS/s. To top it
off, it connected to a computer via a serial port, and was supported
with Windows and UNIX programs (xoscope, for example,
xoscope.sourceforge.net).

Just reading the technical material on their site was enough to make me
drool, but discussions with them have revealed that they are working on
Kylix_OE interfacing tools for Linux, are looking at Ethernet
interfaces, and faster A-D converters (10-bit 80MS/s or 105MS/s etc).

What a wonderful concept. I thought you all would like to know!

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba