[plug] Problem with Lilo

David Buddrige buddrige at q-net.net.au
Thu Sep 27 18:36:17 WST 2001

Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to install an old 486 (DX2-66) system with
Linux and X, to be given away by the Computer Angels group
(http://www.ca.asn.au/).  I've done an  NFS install of slackware onto it,
and that seems to have been installed without a problem... until it tried to
install lilo, afer which it said that there was a problem, and to reboot.

I used the slackware boot-disk to reboot the machine, and using the "mount
root=/dev/hda2" kernel parameter, was able to bring the system up without
having lilo installed on the hard-drive itself.

I then created a lilo.conf file manually.  It consists of the following:

boot = /dev/hda
prompt
timeout = 50
vga = normal
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = linux
  read-only

I then ran the lilo command again, and got the following error message:

    geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (2214 > 1023)

Is there any way around this? Would breaking the drive into a number of
smaller partions help?

any assistance muchly appreciated

thanks guys

David Buddrige.