[plug] UPS's (slightly OT)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Sep 29 18:04:24 WST 2001

At 02:06 PM 09/29/2001, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>Ive just come into contact with a Datron UPS.
<snip>
>Does this sound like hte UPS has shat itself? Or that the Battery is dead
>or some such thing?

Had one like this recently. Really a lead acid battery starts to rot as
soon as the acid goes in. Expected life is around three years even on float
unless it is kept cool. Higher temperature = faster rot. So if you can tell
from the manufacture date of the UPS (and frozen screws like no-one has had
the lid off before) that the battery is three years or older .. a birthday
battery would prolly be the go. Siomar Agencies (Balcatta) or someone
similar. That said, the UPS I fiddled with had a suss battery but the spade
lugs on the battery and the PCB must have oxidised a bit because giving
them a good wiggle at least got the UPS to a stage where it had the same
symptoms .. run for a short while then carc it.

Thus endeth my UPS tale :)

Agree with James on the loading, tho' if it is a PC _only_ you are powering
(ie no screen) then it should be up to that. Swot it's designed for usually.

Good luck Mr Bates

Harry