[plug]

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 1 13:54:05 WST 2002

Bret Busby wrote:
> If the conference is going to be of the nature of some of these postings,
> I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
>
> I understood that a Linux conference was supposed to be a professional
> event, involving computing professionals, not some grubby affair,
> involving around gratuitous offensive material.
>
> The posting about which I complained, and, some of the responses that I
> have received, have shown that PLUG, or, the subscribers to the list, are
> simply not up to running a professional event, for computing
> professionals.

Perhaps some us *are* computing professionals who simply disagree with your
views.

I have to admit that, not being Australian, I sometimes have to think for a
moment to get the "other" meaning of rooted.  The phrase that seemed to
distress you is one that I've heard a number of times, and always in the
context of the original message - my machine has been compromised.  It
wasn't until I read you objection that it occurred to me to think of the
other meaning.

If you have a problem with bad language in general, then I would advise you
to stay clear of the IT industry. Bad language is often used as an outlet
for stress, and most of us accept it.

Regards

The Hooker
(this username has given me equivalent emails from the humour impaired
 :-) )