[plug] auto-login

Trent Lloyd trentlloyd at iprimus.com.au
Tue Apr 2 10:28:28 WST 2002

um... setuid bit on the script (chmod +s) then chown to bernard

??

At 01:28 AM 2/04/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Plug,
>
>I've seen the auto-login feature on Mandrake and would like to do
>similar for my Debian machine. I don't particularly feel like doing
>a Mandrake install just to figure out how they do it, so I'd be
>delighted if somebody could guide me as to how Mandrake does it or
>how I should do it?
>
>I've tried a script in rc2.d along the lines of "su - bernard -c
>startx" but it throws errors about user not being allowed to run the
>X server.
>
>I've tried making the script setuid and setgid to user "bernard" and
>that almost works - only problem is that it still loads up under the
>uid root (with a KDE session from /root/.kde)
>
>How can I drop the privileges from a script to do something like
>this? I figure I also need to get the environment setup right. Or am
>I barking right up the wrong tree? I hath googled and come up bare
>handed.
>
>TIA,
>
>Bernard.
>
>--
>  Bernard Blackham
>  bernard at blackham.com.au

Trent Lloyd

Associations: http://www.variantrealities.com/ - Realise your dreams |
http://www.plug.org.au/ - Perth Linux Users Group |
http://www.irc-desk.net/ - Your IRC Resource

"There is nobody getting rich of software that I know of" - Bill Gates, 1980
"If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem" - Unkown