[plug] April 1st tomfoolery

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 3 07:36:29 WST 2002

I've been had.

An "friend" and aussie warez site have been my downfall.

I friend "in the know" directed me to a site with a tarball called
whist-2351-src.tgz of size 781,658,976 bytes. Apparently it was the MS
source code for whistler build 2351 as stolen when MS was hacked awhile
back. Curiosity got the better of me, and I thought I'd have a look, and
delete it afterwards...

After all sorts of stuffing around with tar & gunzip etc, I looked further
into the file.

There was the directory structure of the Mandrake 8.2 disk 2.
The file was stamped in 31st March UTC, which is (for an eight hour
period)is April 1st.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!

My modem is still smarting from the abuse....

Craig F