[plug] Re: PLUG listing to port?

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed Apr 3 07:43:57 WST 2002

On Wed,  3 Apr 2002 02:00, wayne wrote:

> The original "problem" was probably not exactly WHAT was said, but more the
> UNNECESSARY WAY it was said (for some).  And that comes down to
> professionalism - rather than morals.

Except this is not a professional list.  If it were I would not be eligible.
It is a list for linux enthusiasts, be they using linux in their chosen
profession or just keen amateurs.  While the list is primarily for technical
support it also serves as a social outlet, a place to chat with like-minded
people.

PLUG is certainly not a professional organisation.  I still had to pay my
membership to have the priviledge of being webmaster for the last year.  None
of the committee get paid.  The members of the mailing list provide free
support.  If you insist that the list members have a professional attitude
then be prepared to pay the cost for the expertise you're getting for free.

This list has rules and precedents that have been established over the six
years of its operation.  Some of these rules have been codified.  They are
available in the FAQ on the web site.  Essentially, all that is required is
that you behave in a mature and adult way.  The mature and adult way of
dealing with a post that you find offensive is either ignore it or complain
to your friendly neighbourhood committee member.  Whining on list is neither
mature nor is it particularly professional

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

"The stars are made of the same atoms as the earth."  I usually pick one small
topic like this to give a lecture on.  Poets say science takes away from the
beauty of the stars -- mere gobs of gas atoms.  Nothing is "mere."  I too can
see the stars on a desert night, and feel them.  But do I see less or more?
The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination -- stuck on this carousel
my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light.  A vast pattern -- of
which
I am a part -- perhaps my stuff was belched from some forgotten star, as one
is belching there.  Or see them with the greater eye of Palomar, rushing all
apart from some common starting point when they were perhaps all together.
What is the pattern, or the meaning, or the *why?*  It does not do harm to
the
mystery to know a little about it.  For far more marvelous is the truth than
any artists of the past imagined!  Why do the poets of the present not speak
of it?  What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but
if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?
-- Richard P. Feynman (1918-1988)