[plug] Digi-sigs; Was bun fight about "bad" words.

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Wed Apr 3 14:02:03 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 10:36, Christian wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:21:37PM +0800, bob wrote:
>
> > The sig fingerprint is more of a joke than anything meaningful.
>
> Why?  I include the fingerprint of my key in every message I send.  This
> gives someone who wants to send me an encrypted message a fair amount of
> evidence to allow them to believe that the key does in fact belong to
> me.  It's not any sort of complete verification but a thousand messages
> all with the same key fingerprint coming from this email address is at
> least worth considering.  But, even if your security requirements (or
> paranoia!) are such you wouldn't rely on this evidence to send an
> encrypted messages, I still don't actually see how this is a joke...
>
> --
> DSA 0x2A0F80F3: 39F3 4E10 9BE9 E728 A9EE  029C D51D EE53 2A0F 80F3

Yes, I don't deny that there's a serious use for a fingerprint. However
for the vast majority of people I have to deal with via email its a
total mystery. I use it as a clue stick in some situations and it amuses
me to see how long it takes some people to pluck up the courage to ask
what this fingerprint biz is about.(usually 4 -6 weeks)

You could say its almost Zen. Enlightenment through confusion :).

--
bob
Something witty... and in Latin.