[plug] Help! stuck in read-only mode

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Apr 3 21:18:51 WST 2002

Hi,

I replaced the CPU cooling fans in my PC today. After replacing the fans the boot process aborted and forced me to run a manual fsck whichtook some time. After that I rebooted the machine and logged on to KDE - but no applications would launch. They would make out as if they were about to launch but would die after a few seconds. I'm putting this down to KDE having read-only privileges, because I Alt-F2'd to the console, logged in as my user and was able to use command line applications. And of course root works fine. But nothing will launch in X11.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sol