[plug] Remote control

chris choypoy at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 5 15:21:22 WST 2002

look into VNC and use remote control, or if the program on the XP box
can be run via the command line, maybe telnet (ugh, no security) or SSH
might be an option. But most probably VNC is your best bet.

Another option if you are handy might be starting a web server on the XP
machine and setting up some scripts (I assume you can do that under XP,
no idea how.. ) .. that'd be nicer as an end model, (if you had one or
two specific tasks to run.. not very flexible though, ie changing the
tasks you wanted to run could be a right pain in the butt).

buut the web server model is OS independant and you wont need special
software to control the XP machine. but security would be a pain in the
butt. (IIS, cringe. windows XP.. ugh... you let an XP machine sit on the
net alone without a big brother (aka linux firewall) to protect it? :)

theres quite a few choices.. depends exactly what tasks you want to do
.. I'm assuming they are XP-specific tasks, or you would be doing it the
easy way (ie running linux on both ends). VNC is probably your best bet.