[plug] I feel like the Queen

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sat Apr 6 19:54:27 WST 2002

Specifically, when they were singing ``We are the Champions!'' (-:

    http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?lang=en&sid=2027

--------8<--------cut-here--------8<-------- from MandrakeForum -------

Sec33.com - 7 Days ago today, Mandrake 8.2 was loaded onto a server and
placed into the DMZ of Sec33.com's network. Without a firewall Mandrake sat
and waited while an invitation to hack this system was broadcast around the
globe.

1 week has passed, the base install of Mandrake 8.2 is rock solid. Without
any protection from a firewall or packet filtering device the OS has
seriously stood up and taken a beating. This latest version of the Mandrake
flavor has received well over several thousand individual attacks and hasn't
needed so much as a simple killing of a process or reboot.

If you haven't taken a look at what we have going here. It is a must.

The project has been named 'Simple Simon', and is available at
www.sec33.com/page.php?page=simon.html. Check it out. Mandrake 8.2 is
definately a winner.

--------8<--------cut-here--------8<-------- from sec33 --------

FAQ:

What is Simple Simon? - This is easily answered; in March of 2002 the users
of Sec33.com voted for us to create a server that will allow anyone who
wishes to participate in this oppurtunity to educate and entertain themselves
with a FREE server to test their security / hacking skills. We wanted to
provide the community with a location and an evironment to test, develop and
learn skills that are necessary to protect systems and networks. We do not
discriminate, nor require accounts, or logins and passwords to participate
with Simple Simon. If you have the urge to attack Simon, then go for it. We
have setup a forum on Sec33.com for those who wish to communicate about what
they have found and so on. Feel free to share your information, brag, vent or
whatever. ** Note ** We did throw a file on the system with root only priv's!
If you chown this file with an account on the system created by you and post
the contents of it in the Sec33 forum for Simple Simon, then you get extra
special bragging rights! The file name is /root/.SimpleSimon - Have fun.

Cheers; Leon