[plug] Configuring IP Aliaes

Mark A. Sasse biker at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 9 12:45:59 WST 2002

Hi Chris,

The internal LAN subnet is 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0.  I want internal
clients to be able to see the machine via 10.0.0.154.  With the alias
IP, 203.47.28.148, I want external clients on the internet to see the
machine.

Once I've configured the virtual address using eth0:1, what route do I
need to add to allow packets destined for the internet to be routed
through our router which is 203.47.28.150.  I've been adding the
default gateway using the command below.

route add default gw 203.47.28.150

However, due to my lack of experience in this, I think the internal
packets are also trying to be routed via the router.  I would assume
one gateway should be defined for the alias (eth0:1) and not one for
the internal IP (eth0) so that packets destined for the internet go
through the gateway and all packets for the 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 are
left alone.

Mark